Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dubble Bubble Birthday Party for the Twins!

So, back last year...like 7 months before their February birthday, I was hunting for a fun and unique theme for their party. They are currently too young to pick their own theme or have an opinion on the matter at all. I LOVE hosting parties and LOVE crafting, so I really enjoy having themes and kind of going all out. I know, I know, they are just little kids and won't remember their party...so why go big on their party?! Well, because they will have pictures to remember their early birthday parties, they enjoy the decorations, our friends and family take the time out of their day to come celebrate with us, and ...why not make it fun for all?

When searching for twin birthday party themes, the most overdone one of all that comes up in the search is "Thing 1 and Thing 2"...I am NOT doing that one...Ever. Another common one is Noah's Ark. Nope to that one too. I really wanted something unique...something not overdone.
And then I stumbled upon this one blog (only one I could find) with the Dubble Bubble theme: Designer Girl 007.

It was clear very quickly that I was going to do the Dubble Bubble theme. Two main reasons: one being it's entirely unique. In fact, the only idea for it that I could find was the one blog listed above. Two, being since there's no pre-made party stuff in existence, I could craft everything on my own. Winner!

I found inspiration on Pinterest, but also had many of my own ideas.


 This was their cake. Everyone loved it! How cool! And it was delicious! We did a pink lemonade cake and a vanilla cake. It was designed and made by Dianna Keesler.@ Love of Cakes.

And here is the entire cake table. We used red/pink starbursts (they actually sell these in a bag with only the red ones!), Strawberry Whoppers, animal crackers, Dubble Bubble Gum, Cake Pops (also made by Love of Cakes), and butter mints in pink and blue wrappers to go with the theme.
 For our party-area decor (which happened to be our kitchen/dining area) we used crepe paper ($.97 per roll) to hang in streamers on the wall in the colors of the party (no, that is NOT wallpaper, lol). We also used $.97 plastic table cloths from Wal-Mart for the solid blue chair rail to cover up our rose wallpaper border. It really added to the dramatic effect!
Here are the recipes for the food we served: Meatballs with cubed cheese,  Greek Dip (and I did homemade hummus) with pita chips,  and the Raspberry Lemonade punch. I kept the sweet treats and the appetizers on separate tables (left table is appetizers and right is sweet treats).
I made these from white poster board ($.99 per sheet and I used 2 total sheets) and just cut them out. For the blue letters (their initials) I wrapped them with blue crepe paper. For the number 2, I scrunched up small square pieces of tissue paper and hot glued them onto the poster board (tissue paper was $.97 per pack at Wal-Mart and I used 2 packs).
This was a table decoration piece. I made the banner on my computer with Power Point and then just added the bubblegum to the vase. Easy enough!
This was a Dubble Bubblegum tree. I used a plastic cup turned upside down as a base, wrapped some white paper around it to make a tee-pee shape, hot glued it together...and then hot glued on the bubblegum pieces. I let my 3year old son help me with this and he had a lot of fun!


Here's our beverage and supply station. Super easy and cheap to do. We did a raspberry lemonade punch in the dispenser (recipe is above) and I set the table up a little nicer for the actual party than what is pictured here. The paper plates, napkins, cups, and plastic wear were all in the $.97 section of the party supplies at Wal-Mart. For the plastic wear, I placed them in mason jars that had Dubble Bubble gum in the bottoms for a little added detail.

This was the set up for our photo booth area and extra seating. We used the $.97 plastic table cloths to cover all of the tables and I printed off the little bubblegum machines and pieces of bubblegum to pin up the yellow table cloth (just to add a little detail). I took the pictures the night before so all of the chairs and the camera were not yet set up. We placed the camera on the table with a tri-pod and it worked perfectly.


I wrapped up a diaper box with bubblegum pink paper and typed up a Photo Booth instructions sheet...and then filled it with some stuff I made on the computer and other fun photo booth props! This was such a fun activity for a birthday party!

For our fireplace mantle I wanted something abstract, so we blew up a bunch of balloons and just piled them on there in a random arrangement (used masking tape to secure them). We also hid a bubble machine in there to turn on to entertain the kids when they all started acting crazy...and it worked like a charm!



On top of our entertainment stand is where we kept the party favors; which were candy filled balloons with the card pictured above attached to it (I made using PowerPoint)..and then a toothpick taped to the homemade card so they could pop the balloon; I advised all of the parents to supervise their children while popping the balloon and suggested doing it outside. I also added some 'gumball' balloon decor as well (which was a pink balloon wrapped in iridescent cellophane and tied on the ends with ribbon).
Not pictured is a kid table I had set up with home-made coloring pages and crayons for everyone to color so that I could add the pages to the Twins' scrapbook. I am also adding the photo booth pictures that were taken to their scrap book as well. Many fun memories were made with this uniquely themed party!!!


All in all, this was party was so FUN! Everyone really had a good time. I was able to decorate for this party for less than $20 (including the table decor and photo booth) and the food cost me around $60. My Mom purchased the cake, so I did not include that in my cost. I'm sure anyone could pull this same party off for less than $200, everything included.

Happy 2nd Birthday to my Twincesses!!


No comments:

Post a Comment